Hi, guys. I'm about 99% done with my text adventure (hopefully!) and thought I'd post it here for you guys to try out (if you so desire). If you find any bugs (i.e., if it crashes), please try to tell me what happened so I can find and fix the bugs. I think I got most of them, but it's been tough.
I'm still editing it on a small scale, too, so if you see any typos or grammatical errors, I'd love to hear about them, too.
Oops..Found some big bugs. I'll patch them fast and get the file back up.
Okay, now it should be good. Here's hoping. :-)
Great job! I just kicked the tires so far, but here are a few suggestions (I'll try to play more with it later):
- The white on black is a bit tough on me at the moment. It would definitely be nice to have either an option for black on white or to choose your own scheme. Also, a larger window option would be nice. Anything to get it out of a DOS window would be nice. You know, typical display stuff. Minor in the grand scheme of things, but it does make it nicer to hang around, you know?
- When I do an "i" for inventory with nothing in it, I get "You are carrying the following items:", which lists nothing. It would be nice and more true to form if it said "Nothing" as a default or "Just the clothes on your back" or something when empty (of course then you'd have to have interaction with the "clothing").
- Curse words. Yes, it's silly, but it's again "traditional" to throw in responses to common curse words. I'm impressed by the vocabulary so far and having an answer to "fuck" or "shit" or whatever would certainly expand the perceived power of the engine.
- I typed "help" and it said "Could not open file help.txt". All the files extracted from the zip are in the same folder. Perhaps a naming issue?
- Typing "l" does not do a "look".
- "jump" should produce a response, even if it's "whee!"; "kill self" is another classic, as is "examine self" or "look self"
- "take all" does not work in the sleeping chamber.
- There's no way to group commands: "Take cylinder and key" don't work, for instance.
Okay, thanks, Bill. I think I've fixed the problem with the empty inventory, the "L" for look, and the help file problem.
Check the help file in this version and it'll tell you about the "options" command, which will let you resize the margins. However, changing the color of the text and such will need to be done through DOS. Do you know if there are DOS commands for that?
okay, that should work. Just type "color" into the parser to toggle it.
Tried your game, didn't get far yet but it sure feels much like Zork. Very nice discriptions of the environment. Will try it a bit further.
-= Mark Vergeer - Armchair Arcade editor =-
Let me know how it goes, guys. As long as it's not crashing or doing freaky things, it's good enough for me. Are you guys able to get off the first deck? :-)