Test of the AVerMedia C985 PCIe Live Gamer HD capture card with Diablo III

14 replies [Last post]
Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969

Just a quick 1080p test of a new capture card I installed. Yes, I haven't played Diablo III in many months, so I suck. This is playing and recording on the same machine, with zero performance optimizations, i.e., just running the game with my usual desktop stuff going on in the background. The card is supposed to minimize any performance hit. My next test in a few days will be with an external input source.

n/a
Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Soon...

ruthan wrote:
Ok, do you have any results of capturing Xbox360 and PS3 output?

Not yet, but I will soon because I have to do that for one of my projects. The Xbox 360 can be captured over HDMI, but the PS3 has to be done over component cables since it has always-on protection (so it doesn't work with ANY capture device over HDMI). The results should still be similar.

n/a
ruthan
ruthan's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/22/2012
Ok, do you have any results

Ok, do you have any results of capturing Xbox360 and PS3 output?

Who: Brujah Zealot, the pimp of babylons bitch. / Location: Scorched heart of Europe. // Sorry for my moldavian sort of english, i have 2 possibilities, to be silent or try to say something +look like idiot..

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
FRAPS is fine, but...

ruthan wrote:
I think you are wrong with DX only stuff, i used Fraps for caputre lots of OpenGL stuff, before 1 minute i captured Quake III Arena, and it works.

The point is, it doesn't capture everything. That's all. This is more direct, i.e., anything that is output over video.

n/a
ruthan
ruthan's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/22/2012
OpenGL capturing

I think you are wrong with DX only stuff, i used Fraps for caputre lots of OpenGL stuff, before 1 minute i captured Quake III Arena, and it works.

Who: Brujah Zealot, the pimp of babylons bitch. / Location: Scorched heart of Europe. // Sorry for my moldavian sort of english, i have 2 possibilities, to be silent or try to say something +look like idiot..

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
The card

clok1966 wrote:
My use of FRAPS is ok.. but as a software solution its a drain on the system speed wise.I must admit for my use its mostly recreational. FRAPS is just to big a drag on my games (works great for any non speed things). While my system handles it well, some of the latest stuff can be to slow to keep it going and play the way I want to play. As I say my use with it .. i tend to turn it on when i game.. and if i got something I want to keep i can.. Play to much multiplayer stuff.. that perfect headshot.. that silly physics ragdoll effect.. those weird glitchs are what I catch.. you cant plan those.. you just have to run a capture at all time and get them. Older games its fine, but as I say some new games FRAPS just drops me a few frames to low.. A dedicated capture card (while I must admit for my uses is quite silly at the price) would eliminate the speed issues, even if they are small.

The only thing you have to be careful of is the hookup process to record on the same PC the card is installed into (also, you need that particular type of slot available, obviously) because you either have to go from HDMI to HDMI or use the included converters to go DVI-D to HDMI then HDMI to DVI-D. You also may need to use a patch cable from your soundcard depending upon how you have it hooked up. External sources are no issue, though, because everything is recorded over HDMI (though there too you can use an audio patch cable if you wish).

I successfully recorded/captured off of an Atari 7800 that was modified for composite, as well as a CoCo 1 and a CoCo 2. The 7800 went from composite to an S-Video/Composite to HDMI box, and the CoCo's went from RF to a VCR to that same S-Video/Composite to HDMI box. I recorded those in 720P (no reason to upscale all the way to 1080P for those, obviously). Absolutely authentic captures there, right down to every bit of fuzz...

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
My use of FRAPS is ok.. but

My use of FRAPS is ok.. but as a software solution its a drain on the system speed wise.I must admit for my use its mostly recreational. FRAPS is just to big a drag on my games (works great for any non speed things). While my system handles it well, some of the latest stuff can be to slow to keep it going and play the way I want to play. As I say my use with it .. i tend to turn it on when i game.. and if i got something I want to keep i can.. Play to much multiplayer stuff.. that perfect headshot.. that silly physics ragdoll effect.. those weird glitchs are what I catch.. you cant plan those.. you just have to run a capture at all time and get them. Older games its fine, but as I say some new games FRAPS just drops me a few frames to low.. A dedicated capture card (while I must admit for my uses is quite silly at the price) would eliminate the speed issues, even if they are small.

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
It's just a 1GB AMD Radeon HD

It's just a 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series. I misspoke about the ATI thing...

n/a
Paul H
Offline
Joined: 10/11/2011
ATI and their crazy ports

Bill Loguidice wrote:
There's no degradation of anything, but my monitors do DVI-D better than HDMI, and my ATI card only supports two active displays at once even though it has two DVI-D, one HDMI, and two Displayport outputs. For recording on this PC, I can either mirror my displays on my two monitors, or extend the desktop. There's no difference either way.

Are you using a 7xxx or 8xxx card? You should be able to use three simultaneous displays, but only two of the HDMI+DVI ports can be used at any time. You can't use a 'passive' DP->HDMI/DVI converter to get a third HDMI/DVI display because passive adapters are also subject to the max2 limitation. 'Active' adapters bypass the limitation, but are not always a slam dunk - I've heard lots of compatibility complaints.

n/a
Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
FRAPS has not worked well for me

ruthan wrote:
Do you have any issues, with Fraps, because otherwise this is dead end. Any hw could be everytime problems (i have for example few pc freeze per month because TV tuner), i prefer SW solution if is avalaible.

No, this is not a dead end in any way. FRAPS only captures DirectX stuff. This captures everything and anything on the PC, plus any external source. I just used it to capture output from my Atari 7800, for instance (going from composite to HDMI using a converter - 720P capture).

n/a
ruthan
ruthan's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/22/2012
Do you have any issues, with

Do you have any issues, with Fraps, because otherwise this is dead end. Any hw could be everytime problems (i have for example few pc freeze per month because TV tuner), i prefer SW solution if is avalaible.

Who: Brujah Zealot, the pimp of babylons bitch. / Location: Scorched heart of Europe. // Sorry for my moldavian sort of english, i have 2 possibilities, to be silent or try to say something +look like idiot..

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.