Chris's Podcast #1: Nintendo Should Just Quit

Chris Kennedy's picture

Alrighty then... This launches my first podcast entry into the bank of Armchair Arcade podcasts - My first topic focuses on Nintendo. I do not really rant on this as it might seem, however I do inject an opinion that most certainly will not be shared by all.

It is unedited. There are typical pauses, clearing of the throat, etc as I gather my thoughts. Although I personally prefer to edit a podcast and try to strive for high production values, there is something to be said about purely focusing on the fun aspect of it all.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

Download the m4a.

Comments

msimplay
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2010
Sales is everything from business point of view and Shareholders
Chris Kennedy wrote:

Wii sales and DS sales mean absolutely nothing. That is all in the past.

It is about where you are in the present and where you are going into the future. My opinion on where Nintendo should go is based on the present and is also a hidden compliment of sorts due to the success of the first party games they release. They wouldn't just have to make new games for other platforms from here out - they could totally bank on releasing Super Mario Bros. for iOS. Heck - they could still do this without even leaving the hardware industry! I just think they have some options they can tap for solid sales, and honestly would be fools not to exploit those.

Perhaps they could even use those options in order to try more experimentation with new hardware and turn it into a win-win.

I just don't think they can catch lighting in the bottle once again - but hey! Maybe the Wii U will be a huge success, but their target is the common man - not the gamer types. Apple pretty much owns that audience now, so Nintendo has to release things that are not only innovative but give people a reason to choose them in over Apple or in addition to Apple.

I can't agree with all past @ Sales they must have amassed huge profits which they can use in the present as you put it.
lol lets say Sony should make games for the Xbox and Microsoft for the PS3 then we have no reason to buy the other console win win =P
Throw some IOS in there too =D

The present is that 3DS has started to sell well again so who knows what will happen =)

I personally think they are doing enough of what Sony and Microsoft do with the Wii U HD graphics with their own little twist with the controller tablet it could enough to make Wii versions the definitive versions of the games at the very least they will offer something the other consoles don't.

Chris Kennedy
Chris Kennedy's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/31/2008
Well
msimplay wrote:

I can't agree with all past @ Sales they must have amassed huge profits which they can use in the present as you put it.
lol lets say Sony should make games for the Xbox and Microsoft for the PS3 then we have no reason to buy the other console win win =P
Throw some IOS in there too =D

But I don't think Microsoft and Sony have a fan following that the Nintendo I.P's do. I don't think Halo for iPad would sell as well as Super Mario Bros for iPad.

Quote:

The present is that 3DS has started to sell well again so who knows what will happen =)

As a 3DS owner, I certainly want to see good games come out for it.

You're right. We will see what happens.

n/a
msimplay
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2010
Debatable @ Fan following
Chris Kennedy wrote:

But I don't think Microsoft and Sony have a fan following that the Nintendo I.P's do. I don't think Halo for iPad would sell as well as Super Mario Bros for iPad.

Hmm this is a debatable topic I'm not really into Microsoft 1st party with except of Forza as an alternative to Gran Turismo.
However in a sense i do agree Nintendo in my opinion has the best 1st party however others would say Sony has the best 1st party.
I personally bought the 360 though because most games across the PS3 and Xbox are similar in quality except one key difference for me the PS3 was way more expensive otherwise it would have been a no brainer for me.
Microsoft hit the right notes with pricing and time of release people had HD content quite a while before the PS3 even out.

I would say certain games are more suited to the IOS platform than others so maybe you are right on Halo but Microsoft does have other IP's and so do Sony that could suit IOS
but the thing is no company wants to give away their franchises I think Sega only went 3rd party because they had no other choice not because they wanted to.

clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
agree
Chris Kennedy wrote:

I just don't think they can catch lighting in the bottle once again - but hey! Maybe the Wii U will be a huge success, but their target is the common man - not the gamer types. Apple pretty much owns that audience now, so Nintendo has to release things that are not only innovative but give people a reason to choose them in over Apple or in addition to Apple.

This i agree with.. I dont think they really caught lighting in a bottle the first time, tehy are the video game equivilant of Facebook.. the people who really post when they took a dump and changed socks have no lives, but they feel better posting it. other people feel they are missing out by not doing the same, so they join, soon its not so much you enjoy it, its just cuase you feel you need to do it ( post) or nobody will come to your page.. In the end you understand what a waste it all was but you cant get back your time.

The Wii used word of mouth, if you didnt have one you where misssing out.. and people bought into it.. They cant use that twice I dont think.. but as barnum said "there is a sucker born every minute" Chosing to belive your not one, doesnt make it any the less true.. I have my Wii.. and enjoyed a few games.. but not $250 worth.. and it hasnt been on in 2 years.. I'm one of the suckers.. and I know I will be in line to chcek the new one out.. and maybe, just maybe... i wont let the hype suck bme in again.. but as a video game addict .. i kinda think I will :(

Matt Barton
Matt Barton's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
I have to admit to being very

I have to admit to being very curious about Wii U. Maybe it's just the geek in me, but I find new controllers and such almost as interesting as new games, and at this point I'd welcome anything that encouraged something besides "hardcore" fps.

n/a
Chris Kennedy
Chris Kennedy's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/31/2008
Games
Matt Barton wrote:

I have to admit to being very curious about Wii U. Maybe it's just the geek in me, but I find new controllers and such almost as interesting as new games, and at this point I'd welcome anything that encouraged something besides "hardcore" fps.

Exactly. If Nintendo's innovation leads to other companies jumping on the bandwagon and developing for the Wii U, then it is win-win-win for Nintendo, 3rd parties, and consumers.

n/a
msimplay
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2010
I have avoided like the plague
Matt Barton wrote:

I have to admit to being very curious about Wii U. Maybe it's just the geek in me, but I find new controllers and such almost as interesting as new games, and at this point I'd welcome anything that encouraged something besides "hardcore" fps.

FPS games I have avoided like the plague this generation and thankfully there isn't really that many of them the market has enough of the other games to make owning any console worth owning.
However with that being said I may dip my feet into the FPS waters as I know FPS at the moment as a competitive online game.
Other games that should work well do not such as fighting games lag issues due to different net speeds and distances to the servers etc.

I have to admit though I played through the 1st 5 minutes of Metroid Prime 3 and I was actually feeling quite thrilled to be playing it as I found the 1st boss quite challenging and the controls seemed natural.
I never quite liked the previous 2 primes though just too much of a departure from Super Metroid and the controls felt clunky on the Gamecube controller although admittedly I haven't tried the Prime trilogy versions.

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Lag and Wii U
msimplay wrote:

However with that being said I may dip my feet into the FPS waters as I know FPS at the moment as a competitive online game.
Other games that should work well do not such as fighting games lag issues due to different net speeds and distances to the servers etc.

While lag still happens on occasion, the latest fighting games have done a tremendous job of giving you that local feel when fighting against someone online.

The biggest issue for me with Wii U will be if they don't allow more than one player to use the tablet screen controller, which is what has been implied to this point. It would seem rather lame to me for the other three players to have to put up with a lesser experience (say, using three Wii remotes), while player 1 gets the full experience. I'm also a bit dubious of Nintendo only approximating current Xbox 360 and PS3 power. Even if it's slightly better, they run the risk of being in the same position as they are now with the Wii of being underpowered in comparison to "Xbox 720" and "PS4" and not enjoying equal third party support. Of course, at least for the first year, there will be few excuses not to at least have third party release parity for Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3, which of course is one of Nintendo's intentions with the new system.

n/a
msimplay
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2010
This Life Cycle isn't even close to ending
Bill Loguidice wrote:
msimplay wrote:

However with that being said I may dip my feet into the FPS waters as I know FPS at the moment as a competitive online game.
Other games that should work well do not such as fighting games lag issues due to different net speeds and distances to the servers etc.

While lag still happens on occasion, the latest fighting games have done a tremendous job of giving you that local feel when fighting against someone online.

The biggest issue for me with Wii U will be if they don't allow more than one player to use the tablet screen controller, which is what has been implied to this point. It would seem rather lame to me for the other three players to have to put up with a lesser experience (say, using three Wii remotes), while player 1 gets the full experience. I'm also a bit dubious of Nintendo only approximating current Xbox 360 and PS3 power. Even if it's slightly better, they run the risk of being in the same position as they are now with the Wii of being underpowered in comparison to "Xbox 720" and "PS4" and not enjoying equal third party support. Of course, at least for the first year, there will be few excuses not to at least have third party release parity for Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3, which of course is one of Nintendo's intentions with the new system.

With Fighting games they may have done a tremendous job but its nothing compared to local multiplayer maybe I'm just being purist but that's how I feel about it

I agree on one hand It should be more powerful but Nintendo is updating the usual 5 year plan the others have extended their console life cycle so Nintendo should still have a good chance but eventually Nintendo would have to change their business model to suit Sonys and Microsoft too I'm actually quite enjoying extended platform cycle I think this generation isn't even close to being tapped out with regards to the amount of new games that could come out.
Live Arcade games such as Street Fighter 3 , Scot Pilgrim Outrun 2 online , Radiant Silvergun, and the availability of downloadable Xbox games I'm really enjoying this gen.
I think the Wii U should aim to at least be as good as these machines if not better in terms of the services it provides.
I hear they will be adding downloadable Gamecube games which is welcome however I really hope they address storage.

I think the Wii U is hardware catchup more than anything but the difference in power could mean difference between Xbox 30 frames Battlefield 3 vs 60 frames battlefield 3 Wii U quite enticing but we just have to wait and see how it pans out.

My opinion is that Nintendo have to do more to support 3rd party development which hasn't really been there since the Snes days.
N64 had great games but the cartridge storage instead of cheaper CD format well we all know what happened there many titled deflected to PS1 and late showing of the N64 didn't help much either by the looks of it relying on just the power of the hardware
Gamecube similarly poor online presence and mini discs no DVD playback.
Wii Storage annoyance poor graphical power compared to competitor

All in all Nintendo went along with their own whims rather than support anything that developers asked for

Ps i agree on tablet issue on not being able to use more than one but its not finished yet so I very much hope they fix this for release otherwise can't say what will happen =P

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Nintendo will not play ball...

Here's an IGN article where Nintendo adamantly denies both developing smartphone games and stopping developing hardware: http://ds.ign.com/articles/119/1194190p1.html?_cmpid=ign40

Of course that's what he's going to say (saying anything else would be business suicide), but it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense and won't eventually happen depending upon how certain things play out over the next several years...

n/a

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.