Matt's Queue: Apple as Religion

Matt Barton's picture

Here's some jokes to brighten up your Thursday. Why get your tech and gaming news anywhere else? What, are you sane or something?

Apple Causes Religious Reaction in Brains of Fans. Skeptics point out that there's no way to prove the existence of their brains.

Kindle books officially take over print sales at Amazon, pulp starts making retirement plans. Books on Kindle 10% more compelling because you bought this stupid thing so you'd better use it.

U.S. Secret Service pulls a herp derp on Twitter. "Had to monitor Fox for a story. Can't. Deal. With. The. Blathering." That was a static filled, triple scrambled, microwave transmission between two soldiers talking in Mandarin Chinese. Break out the Drogen's Decoder Wheel.

Displays, HD Displays
Sharp shows off the world's first Super Hi-Vision LCD with 16x more detail than 1080p
. The 3D version lets you pick dingleberries.

8 of China's Top 9 Govt. Officials Are Engineers. The other guy has a gun.

Comments

clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
You missed the PS3 overheat

You missed the PS3 overheat issue, now the PS3 has its own version of DEATH by heat liek the 360 did. Seems Rockstars new games has made it shows its face, but they are blaming the last Sony Update.... should be a pissing match thats fun to watch.. Rockstar who does no wrong (hot coffee was not wrong! and Im not be sarcastic.. you couldnt see it without hacks) and Sony, who right now cant take anotehr PR blow.. Again, Im just flabbergast at SONY, all the "they are to arogant" stuff is starting to really look true. Never bought into any of it, but have got to wonder how they can just keep lighting themsleves on fire....

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Weird issue
clok1966 wrote:

You missed the PS3 overheat issue, now the PS3 has its own version of DEATH by heat liek the 360 did. Seems Rockstars new games has made it shows its face, but they are blaming the last Sony Update.... should be a pissing match thats fun to watch.. Rockstar who does no wrong (hot coffee was not wrong! and Im not be sarcastic.. you couldnt see it without hacks) and Sony, who right now cant take anotehr PR blow.. Again, Im just flabbergast at SONY, all the "they are to arogant" stuff is starting to really look true. Never bought into any of it, but have got to wonder how they can just keep lighting themsleves on fire....

It may not be Sony's fault this time. It seems like LA Noire is causing the heating on both the PS3 and Xbox 360 pre-patch!

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
I didnt read to much on it

I didnt read to much on it yet, I was just thinking of the PR beating Sony will take, no matter who is at fualt. Live is tough in Sony land right now. I was actually going ot pick up Noir, but the 360 is not playing nice now ( i think its disc reader eorrs not RROD) and a bunch of firends have convinced me to dust of my old competative RTS skills.. and with 4 NOOB starcraft II online matchs under my belt (all complete utterly humilating defeats) I think Im going to be doing alot of learning to even put up a fight, let alone win one.

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
360 and PS3
clok1966 wrote:

I didnt read to much on it yet, I was just thinking of the PR beating Sony will take, no matter who is at fualt. Live is tough in Sony land right now. I was actually going ot pick up Noir, but the 360 is not playing nice now ( i think its disc reader eorrs not RROD) and a bunch of firends have convinced me to dust of my old competative RTS skills.. and with 4 NOOB starcraft II online matchs under my belt (all complete utterly humilating defeats) I think Im going to be doing alot of learning to even put up a fight, let alone win one.

If you have disk read errors, it *may* be related to the recent update to upgrade the higher capacity disk format. Microsoft is offering free Xbox 360 250GB as replacements for the small number of users who have such an error. You may wish to look into that.

As for Microsoft benefiting from Sony's woes, absolutely. The 360 remains the best selling console in the US for 2011 and apparently there are a high ratio of PS3 returns/placement on the used/for sale market. This is about the worst possible thing that could happen for Sony is this generational battle.

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
interesting
Bill Loguidice wrote:

If you have disk read errors, it *may* be related to the recent update to upgrade the higher capacity disk format. Microsoft is offering free Xbox 360 250GB as replacements for the small number of users who have such an error. You may wish to look into that.

As for Microsoft benefiting from Sony's woes, absolutely. The 360 remains the best selling console in the US for 2011 and apparently there are a high ratio of PS3 returns/placement on the used/for sale market. This is about the worst possible thing that could happen for Sony is this generational battle.

There is a big debate on that too. A english gameing site sourced "1" game shop (not chain) and it was carried by several major News outlets (CNN, etc). A amatur journalist called 10 shops in a major city (LA) and only one reported any PS3 trades (2), sales where rouhgly the same as before the outage (on both PS3 and 360's). Now 10 shops is no "good number" either but its much better than 1. Sony has said unoffically they have seen a rouhgly 5% cancel rate on their service and are predicting about 7%. (if that is to be beileved)..

Myslef I know its hurting them, but gamers are a Loyal bunch, as we all see most love or hate specific systems. Honestly as dead as Sony's online is (hmm wrong word, there are players, just quiet ones) i cant see it being to major a deal being down for them. The identy theft, that is a big deal. And if i had played online with Sony and never LIVE Its going to be a rude shock for those players. Plenty of games to play, but the worst online comunity (if you dont mute it) ever. I play my 360 more, and the Online alwasy has a game, but even my thick skin cant take it for more then a few mere minutes... people that talk like that are so sad.. its almost scarry they are walking the planet in my opinion... The pure hatred from loseing at a game is frightening to me.

Sony had just finally almost caught up sales wise worldwide, its going to be interesting to see the numbers 6 months from now. MY very uninformed guess.. 20% drop.... the only good thing they got going for them.. something else will dominate the news shortly and the short memory of 99% of people will soon forget it ever happned.

clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
Upside to my 360 woes.. seems

Upside to my 360 woes.. seems ? it was just a wierd day.. As my sig shows I played OSDT (and won it) on sunday with no hiccups at all. Several other games where tried also with no ill effects. Not sure why my 360 was having a hissy that day. I must say Halo:ODST was sorta to easy.. I have played Halo, Halo2 and Halo 3 all on NORMAL settings.. and I must admit I suck a bit (at the controls, Halo on the PC was cake on the hardest setting) but ODST was easy, normal settings with one death (head on crash) on one sit down (5 ish hours). Halo 2... i have fired that up a few times and turned it off after getting mowed down several times in the very begining.. I dont understand their "skill level" thoughts. STILL very far from a fan of the series, ODST was the best (level Wise) of the 4 i have played (still have not played REACH).. the outdoor areas smack of standard bungie... a zig zag to reach the end, bit boring and been with this series since game one. To many of the buildings in ODST where wastes of time, just ways of extending your playtime by exploring, to bad there is no reward/reson to explore. I am just not grasping the love for this game, must be the multiplayer (which i cant deal with if people are ranting/racial taunts)... but after some TF2, or CS, or even L4D with friends all on teamspeak.. halo is sorta boring.

One of my friends is manager of the local gamestops here, 3 stores. (has been for 4 years).. I asked him about the PS3 thing. He dug out some numbers.. in the last 3 weeks (this month) he has had 7-360's, 2 ps3's tradded in. 2 of the 360's where LIve banned and not traded in the end. he said the big thing tradded now is Kinect stuff, games, hardware bar. He is getting 1 or 2 almost every day, trade price has went to $30 and games are $4. I asked about MOVE and he said not much, but they never sold much to start with. He did say there was some talk and one guy bouhgt a new 360 that said it was the reason. We talked about it a bit and he did say he isnt at all the counters at all the stores so only hears what he hears when he is working till. but so far hardly nothing. He did say there where memo's from the company, but declined to talk about them as people seem to get fired for leaking that stuff and much as he trusts me... he said he prefered to just leave them untalked about (maybe he knows me to well?)

So... locally here, not much, but we are pretty small area of the world.

Matt Barton
Matt Barton's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
I gotta say, I was at Target

I gotta say, I was at Target and saw a 4 GB 360 selling for $200. It was a sore temptation! Only thing that held me back was the knowledge that the next gen will be out soon. Assuming it's backward compatible, that $200 would be better spent saved and applied to the next gen.

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
buy one
Matt Barton wrote:

I gotta say, I was at Target and saw a 4 GB 360 selling for $200. It was a sore temptation! Only thing that held me back was the knowledge that the next gen will be out soon. Assuming it's backward compatible, that $200 would be better spent saved and applied to the next gen.

find a stuent who wants win7, you get a 360 free with it right now at Best Buy (maybe other places also?) split the cost of Win7 , he takes it, you take a 360.

Personally depending on your time, I would pick one up, I have mentioned I think the exclusives on that other system are better, but you cant go wrong with a 360. You still have 2 years till the next MS and Sony products ship, almost a yer till the new Nintendo.

I have been burning myslef out on the PC stuff, so I have been trying my huge backlog of 360 and PS3 games.. 3D Dot Hero's looks very interesting, I only played about 15 minutes of it but I got a good kick out of it. Halo ODST fell on Sunday, Enslaved was about 1/4 done (its next I think). Of Course Sigularity was just purchased on a STEAM sale for the PC and I might sneak in some of that.. maybe.. we have had a grand total of about 7 days over 70 so far.. its been nothing but rain here for like 3 weeks... but next few days is sun and 70'ish... outside for sure if it is.. RC planes and need to dig my motercycle out too... and of course a few evening drives in the Vette with the top down... not sure I will get to play much games this summer :(

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Xbox 360
Matt Barton wrote:

I gotta say, I was at Target and saw a 4 GB 360 selling for $200. It was a sore temptation! Only thing that held me back was the knowledge that the next gen will be out soon. Assuming it's backward compatible, that $200 would be better spent saved and applied to the next gen.

It is extremely unlikely there will be an Xbox 3 before 2013, so "soon" is relative. The only one guaranteed for 2012 is Wii 2. I bought a new Xbox 360 4GB Kinect bundle to write the My Xbox book with Christina. The new model is pretty impressive, though I must say I don't care for the new proximity sensors in the power button and the disc tray. It's far too easy to activate those by just brushing up against them!

Anyway, getting the 4GB model is not a bad choice, but the storage is simply not enough (there is nowhere near 4GB left with all that's preinstalled). You'd either want to put in one or more USB thumb drives (it takes up to 16GB per drive), or simply get a cheap third party compatible 250GB hard drive (official drive is $87, knockoff is half that price), which is what I did. That would net you the equivalent of a 250GB model for roughly $50 or so less. The only thing you'd be missing is the headset that comes with the 250GB model, but that's not $50. Of course it's not much fun without an Xbox LIVE Gold account ($45 for one year), so you need to factor that into the price. You only get one month of that free out of the box.

By the way, ALWAYS shop at Amazon, not a store. No tax and free shipping, and typically cheaper prices.

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
If you break down Matt give

If you break down Matt give me a shout, I have about 300+ games. Your only a couple hundred miles away, be glad to borrow you a few anytime, send ya 4-5 UPS is about the same as renting a couple for a few days locally. Up to you if you dont mind a few $ to ship it back and forth. Of course with places like GLYDE.com, gamestaq.com and gamefly sales you can pick up almost any game thats a few months old for about $9 shipped.

BUT ASK YOURSELF, do you feel lucky punk? did you have 5 hours of game time or was it 6? :) new system, more time wasted playing games.. there are so many good ones...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.