There can be only ONE...

Rob Daviau's picture

Please give your opinions, participate, pass on this video topic to others. To all my subscribers and anyone else feel free to participate. Would LOVE VIDEO RESPONSES but at the very least leave a comment. the question is: If you could only have one console or system or computer or handheld, one to collect for and/or play on from now until the end of days WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

The only rule is none of the current generation systems/computers/handhelds or consoles.

So I am EXCLUDING NDSi/PSP/PSPgo/Wii/360/PS3/Modern PC/ModernMAC, all modern and current systems! ANYTHING ELSE PRIOR TO THOSE IS APPLICABLE. I don't care if you choose PS2, Gameboy, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, 3D0, Dreamcast, or friggin Bandai Pippin lol! Give me your choice, your opinion of the one system of choice and please give details as to WHY you make that choice, please back up your choice with reason and details! THANKS IN ADVANCE to all who participate in any way!

Comments

Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
No promises, but I'll try

No promises, but I'll try and do it tonight. I have one system in particular in mind.

Books!
Bill Loguidice, Managing Director | Armchair Arcade, Inc.
[About Me]

n/a
Rob Daviau
Rob Daviau's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/19/2006
I would be honored BILL!

I would be honored! No rush! I was very surprised to awaken to 11 video responses, over 90 comments and around 10 new subscribers! Honestly the idea just popped into my head and I thought ah well I will just upload a quick vid! Sometimes the vids you don't over think become the best ones!
Bill having you among the responses would be an awesome addition and with your collection I really am intrigued what you would answer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oldschool games, some people just don't "get it"...

n/a
clok1966
Offline
Joined: 01/21/2009
amiga!

Easy for me, grew up with a 2600/intelvision, and did the standards after that, loved um all. But my Vic 20, C-64and atari 400 really stood out as the games where so much more in depth. Then i got my Amiga (i wanted and APPLE IIGS, but it was like $2500, the amiga was $500) and dont remeber ever being happier game wise. Now I do know the games dont hold up quite as well as I would hope. I sold my Amiga 500 a long time ago (sadly about the only system I ever did sell) so have only used emulation. many of the games i rember as being so wonderfull fall a bit flat nowdays. But the real classics on it still hold up very well. matt has done Matts Chats on several of them. populous, powermonger, Syndicate (strange all bullfrog games) all are very addictive still. WALKER a Psygnosis game that came about teh time i finally had moved to PC still facinates me, maybe more for the "giant walking robot" then the gameplay, but I love the game. WINGS, also a all time favorite, while still fairly fun, is very dated, I sure dont remeber the AMIGA playing it so slow, but man is it ever (new games do spoil you... cant believe how 30FPS is considers slow nowdays). TV sports Football (still fun). And all the RPG's... I love RPG's and played um all. Eye of beholders, Dungeon master, bards Tale, Black Crypt, etc.. that old Amiga just had it all... and so many original games, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Corperation (IMHO the first 3D FPS, long beforethe others). Turrican, GODS, man i could go on an on...

Consoles.. i think it would be the genisis.. but if its only one.. the AMIGA for me.

Rob Daviau
Rob Daviau's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/19/2006
Amiga Rocks!

I was a huge AMIGA fan back in the day and I still have a big spot for it! A great choice no question!!!!!

clok1966 wrote:

Easy for me, grew up with a 2600/intelvision, and did the standards after that, loved um all. But my Vic 20, C-64and atari 400 really stood out as the games where so much more in depth. Then i got my Amiga (i wanted and APPLE IIGS, but it was like $2500, the amiga was $500) and dont remeber ever being happier game wise. Now I do know the games dont hold up quite as well as I would hope. I sold my Amiga 500 a long time ago (sadly about the only system I ever did sell) so have only used emulation. many of the games i rember as being so wonderfull fall a bit flat nowdays. But the real classics on it still hold up very well. matt has done Matts Chats on several of them. populous, powermonger, Syndicate (strange all bullfrog games) all are very addictive still. WALKER a Psygnosis game that came about teh time i finally had moved to PC still facinates me, maybe more for the "giant walking robot" then the gameplay, but I love the game. WINGS, also a all time favorite, while still fairly fun, is very dated, I sure dont remeber the AMIGA playing it so slow, but man is it ever (new games do spoil you... cant believe how 30FPS is considers slow nowdays). TV sports Football (still fun). And all the RPG's... I love RPG's and played um all. Eye of beholders, Dungeon master, bards Tale, Black Crypt, etc.. that old Amiga just had it all... and so many original games, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Corperation (IMHO the first 3D FPS, long beforethe others). Turrican, GODS, man i could go on an on...

Consoles.. i think it would be the genisis.. but if its only one.. the AMIGA for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oldschool games, some people just don't "get it"...

n/a
Rowdy Rob
Rowdy Rob's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/04/2006
My picks

Does the ability to EMULATE other consoles count? If so, my primary choice would be the original XBOX. Easy to mod, has decent 3D power, and, when modded, can emulate most classic games and consoles. It makes for an overall great media center.

If we throw out emulation, I'd go with an AGA-equipped Amiga, like the 4000, or at least a 1200. Many great games available, plus the ability to do computing tasks as well. The lack of hardware-accelerated 3D is a major minus.

If it's just for playing games, I'd go with the PS2. It has a great library of games, better than the XBOX if we rule out emulation as a criteria.

qoj hpmoj o+ 6uo73q 3Jv 3svq jnoh 77V

Rob Daviau
Rob Daviau's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/19/2006
Absolutely!!!!!

For sure RR! My ONLY limitation was modern/current gen, whatever you choose is fine and whatever accessory or capability it has or can be added..........

Rowdy Rob wrote:

Does the ability to EMULATE other consoles count? If so, my primary choice would be the original XBOX. Easy to mod, has decent 3D power, and, when modded, can emulate most classic games and consoles. It makes for an overall great media center.

If we throw out emulation, I'd go with an AGA-equipped Amiga, like the 4000, or at least a 1200. Many great games available, plus the ability to do computing tasks as well. The lack of hardware-accelerated 3D is a major minus.

If it's just for playing games, I'd go with the PS2. It has a great library of games, better than the XBOX if we rule out emulation as a criteria.

qoj hpmoj o+ 6uo73q 3Jv 3svq jnoh 77V

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oldschool games, some people just don't "get it"...

n/a
Matt Barton
Matt Barton's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
Repost from Monroeworld Forums

Historically speaking, I think the most interesting system is the Apple II. There was just so many groundbreaking games that originated on that platform, especially role-playing, adventure, and strategy games (my favorite genres) as well as some action games. Plus, it was around so long that you could collect models, accessories, upgrades, etc., for years and years and years. On top of all that, you could go for uber-collectibles like Akalabeth or Mystery House.

As far as consoles go, I don't see much choice there, unless for whatever reason you really hate Nintendo. Either the NES or SNES would give you incredible variety. I guess if I had to choose either/or, I'd go with the original NES.

n/a
Rob Daviau
Rob Daviau's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/19/2006
A solid choice!

As expected an excellent answer, I appreciate your contibution always Matt!

Matt Barton wrote:

Historically speaking, I think the most interesting system is the Apple II. There was just so many groundbreaking games that originated on that platform, especially role-playing, adventure, and strategy games (my favorite genres) as well as some action games. Plus, it was around so long that you could collect models, accessories, upgrades, etc., for years and years and years. On top of all that, you could go for uber-collectibles like Akalabeth or Mystery House.

As far as consoles go, I don't see much choice there, unless for whatever reason you really hate Nintendo. Either the NES or SNES would give you incredible variety. I guess if I had to choose either/or, I'd go with the original NES.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oldschool games, some people just don't "get it"...

n/a
Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Bill's Response to "The One"

My truncated response (thanks to YouTube's 10 minute cap) to MaximumRD's query on the one system you would collect for if you could collect for only one. Yes, the C-64 line wins for me, partially for logical reasons, partially for nostalgia, but the Apple II does come in a close second.

Books!
Bill Loguidice, Managing Director | Armchair Arcade, Inc.
[About Me]

n/a
Nous
Nous's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/07/2007
Easy choice (maybe not)

It's an easy choice, it has to be the PS2 (including PS1 backward compatibility).

Why? Because of its vast and highly diverse games library. Nothing comes even *remotely* close to that, and this is no exaggeration.

However, I have to admit the Amiga comes a very close second. Let's say an A4000 but I could easily live with a tricked up A1200 for a very long time. In fact, any Amiga would do very nicely. Again, amazing platform with a huge and (most importantly) very diverse games library with many quality titles.

---------------

"Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it."

-- Dijkstra

n/a

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.