Matt Chat 32: Tomb Raider

Matt Barton's picture

This week's Matt Chat is on Tomb Raider, one of my favorite games on the PS1. It was my first 3D platformer, and I still vividly remember the experience. Core did an excellent job really demonstrating what was fun about 3D and what the third dimension could add to the genre. Of course, the game also introduced Lara Croft, the most famous female avatar.

Comments

Mark Vergeer
Mark Vergeer's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
Video response

PS3: MarkVergeer | Xbox 360: Lactobacillus P | Wii: 8151 3435 8469 3138
Armchair arcade Editor | Pixellator | www.markvergeer.nl

n/a
Bill Loguidice
Bill Loguidice's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
One of my favorite opening

One of my favorite opening cinematics of all time was Resident Evil: Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. That was nearly perfect in my opinion. The opening scene from Dead Rising for the Xbox was quite good too, though that was more interactive than most cut scenes.

Early opening scenes that were memorable included Karateka and Prince of Persia, and I always liked the title sequence for The Seven Cities of Gold. Beautiful music and nice drawing of the title name.

Books!
Bill Loguidice, Managing Director | Armchair Arcade, Inc.
[About Me]

n/a
Gashead
Gashead's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/12/2009
Gaming moments

Great video Matt, one of the best I would say. It has a really good mix of humour, commentary and game footage.

As you say great opening sequence. However this game contains one of the most memorable gaming moments I have ever experienced. That is wandering around one of the levels and suddenly a T Rex appearing! I can still remember how that felt now.

In terms of best opening sequences a recent one I really liked was Left4Dead. In terms of classic ones you covered this in a previous video but the opening of Ultima Black Gate is very atmospheric. System Shock 2 also has a great intro and the ending is fantastically creepy.

Half Life and Half Life are difficult to beat in terms of intros though.

Have you thought of doing a Matt Chat about Ico? Also a brilliantly designed game.

Matt Barton
Matt Barton's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
response

Thanks for the responses, Mark, Bill, and Gashead!

Gashead wrote:

As you say great opening sequence. However this game contains one of the most memorable gaming moments I have ever experienced. That is wandering around one of the levels and suddenly a T Rex appearing! I can still remember how that felt now.

Well, I didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone who hadn't played it before. ;) It is a jump-out-of-your-skin moment, though.

Quote:

In terms of best opening sequences a recent one I really liked was Left4Dead. In terms of classic ones you covered this in a previous video but the opening of Ultima Black Gate is very atmospheric. System Shock 2 also has a great intro and the ending is fantastically creepy.

Half Life and Half Life are difficult to beat in terms of intros though.

Have you thought of doing a Matt Chat about Ico? Also a brilliantly designed game.

I haven't played Ico, so need to check that one out. I do plan to cover System Shock 2 at some point, as well as Half-Life (not sure if I'd rather do part one or two). Of course, I still haven't covered Doom and Alone in the Dark, either! So many great games left to cover.

n/a
Gashead
Gashead's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/12/2009
I look forward to the Doom

I look forward to the Doom Matt Chat. Strangely enough Doom also contains another memorable moment for me. I can't remember which level it is but there is a dark room with flickering lights. I can remember navigating the room and one of the pink monster things suddenly appearing out of the dark, I nearly hit the ceiling!

Many subsequent FPS games have had sequences like this. I had a similar experience in Aliens vs Predator whilst playing alone upstairs in my house in the dark. An alien jumped on me (or more correctly my avatar) in a darkened room. I like to think at this point I let out a full throated manly battlecry. However my girlfriend who was downstairs in the house tells a different story as she suddenly heard someone upstairs scream like a little girl!

Matt Barton
Matt Barton's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
Doom 3 is surely the king of

Doom 3 is surely the king of this kind of thing. Seems like every room had a creature popping out of nowhere to scare you.

n/a
Gashead
Gashead's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/12/2009
Yes I guess Doom 3 had quite

Yes I guess Doom 3 had quite a lot of jumpy moments. However they kind of left me cold and didn't scare me that much.

Have you played Dead Space? Now that is a scary game. It is both psyshologically scary due to the atmosphere of dread and jump out your seat scary as well. It's a very unsettling game. So much so that it is almost not fun to play. Or maybe I am a bit of a wuss! Dead Space is heavily influenced by System Shock 2 and Resident Evil. It's a cool game that (in the UK at least) didn't get the reviews it deserved.

Mark Vergeer
Mark Vergeer's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2006
Resident Evil
Bill Loguidice wrote:

One of my favorite opening cinematics of all time was Resident Evil: Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. That was nearly perfect in my opinion. The opening scene from Dead Rising for the Xbox was quite good too, though that was more interactive than most cut scenes.

Early opening scenes that were memorable included Karateka and Prince of Persia, and I always liked the title sequence for The Seven Cities of Gold. Beautiful music and nice drawing of the title name.

Books!
Bill Loguidice, Managing Director | Armchair Arcade, Inc.
[About Me]

Just lost a bit to the entire Gamecube Resident Evil collection for 70 GBP :-(

PS3: MarkVergeer | Xbox 360: Lactobacillus P | Wii: 8151 3435 8469 3138
Armchair arcade Editor | Pixellator | www.markvergeer.nl

n/a
davyK
davyK's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/21/2006
I skipped this series back

I skipped this series back in the day but I got TR Anniversary for PS2 which is a rather nice remake.

Catatonic
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2006
ICO is awesome!!! Tomb

ICO is awesome!!!

Tomb Raider was really groundbreaking. And if you played on a PC with a supported 3D graphics card (I had one with the Rendition Verite chip) you got a real visual treat. The gap between PC and console graphics was very large in the late 90's probably until Dreamcast came out.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Images can be added to this post.
  • You may quote other posts using [quote] tags.

More information about formatting options

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.